February News from Uptown Blanco Textile Studio
Spring has Sprung!
The daffodils are up, the Mountain Laurels outside of the Textile Studio have begun to bloom and there a few Bluebonnets popping up along the highway. Spring doesn't officially begin until March 21st, but in Texas we always expect it to arrive earlier than that! From a interesting online article titled "15 Scientific Reasons Spring is the Most Delightful Season" reason number 7 is that Spring makes us more creative! So, are you ready to be more creative?? And speaking of spring, the Wildflowers All Around Shop Hop is the last weekend in March, keep reading for more information on the Hop.
Need Longarm Quilting? We're Ready!
We are now ready to help you complete your quilts with our longarm quilting service. We provide edge-to-edge quilting designs for quilt tops that are up to 100" in width for 2 cents a square inch. To determine an approximate cost measure the width and length of your quilt top, multiply the width x length x $.02. We have a multitude of edge-to-edge patterns that can be used and when you bring in your top we will show you what is available. Backing needs to be at least 4" wider and 4" longer on each side of the top, and batting needs to be at least 2" wider and longer on each side of your quilt top. If you need additional sewing assistance to get your quilt completed, we also provide sewing servi e to piece backing fabric, and sew on binding.
If you are interested in learning how to free-motion quilt and then rent the longarm so that you can quilt your own quilts, we are also able to provide that. Training consists of a 4 hour session with our instructor to learn how to load the quilt, verify machine tension and practice different free-motion patterns. For more information on any of our longarm services, give us a call or stop by!
Wildflowers All Around Shop Hop
The annual Wildflowers All Around Shop Hop is scheduled for the last weekend in March, March 28-30. Other shops on the Hop include Scrappy Quilter (Schertz), One Quilt Place (Fredericksburg), Sew It Fabulous (Boene), Stitching Studio (Wimberley) and new to the Hop this year is Cactus Queen Quilt Co. in McQueeney. You can pick up a free Passport and register for daily prizes at any of the shops and each shop will provide a free FQ and a free pattern for a wildflower themed block for shoppers. When you visit all 6 shops and turn in your Passport you'll have the chance to win one of the Grand Prizes. For more information, and a map to all of the shops, visit the Shop Hop website or Facebook page.
February Projects of the Month
Our Projects of the Month continue! The projects will be available to pick up at the Textile Studio on either the second Monday or the third Saturday of each month. Pre-registration/payment is required for both of these projects. You can stay at the Studio and start working on them with others, or take it home and finish. When you pre-pay for the following month you'll get 10% off that kit.
- Barn Block Minis- The March project is a bright spring colored 13" barn block type mini quilt that can be used as a wall hanging or displayed on a stand. Another option is to join all 12 blocks into a quilt at the end of the year. The patterns can be purchased separately or with a kit. Each pattern contains the directions for two blocks. The kits will have both the pattern and the fabric to make one block.
- Pixel Piecing Project of the Month- The March project uses pink and white fabric 2" squares to make a Easter bunny wall hanging or small quilt. Using the EasyPiecing Grids by "Tensisters Handicraft" it is a great stash buster idea. Fabric squares are heat bonded to a fusible grid, then sewn and the project is completed quickly. It is available as a kit and will include the EasyPiecing Grid and approximately half of the pre-cut squares needed for the monthly project. You will just need to add more fabric from your stash to complete the project or purchase additional pre-cut squares.
And we are so excited to share the news that the Uptown Blanco Restaurant is now open! The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and for Sunday Brunch.
With a new chef, new staff and a new menu we hope you'll plan your next Textile Studio shopping trip to include a stop at the restaurant!
February & March Important Dates:
- Saturday, February 23: Stitchin' Sisters
- Tuesday, February 26 & March 5: Jelly Roll Rug
- Saturday, March 2: Intro to Quilting Workshop series begins
- Monday, March 11: Projects of the Month- Mini Barn Block and Pixel Piecing
- Saturday, March 16: Projects of the Month- Mini Barn Block and Pixel Piecing
- Thursday, March 21 & April 4: One Block Wonder
- Saturday, March 23: Stitchin' Sisters
- March 28-30: Wildflowers All Around Shop Hop
Stay up to date with workshops and events by visiting us on Facebook or checking the website!
Ruth, Kathy, Pam, Charity and Dawn
Uptown Blanco Textile Studio, On the Corner of 4th and Main
317 4th Street, PO Box 1079
Blanco, Texas 78606
830-833-1579 ext. 3