December Uptown Blanco Textile Studio News
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year!
This is the season to celebrate, give thanks and look forward to a new year! Wherever and however you celebrate the season, we send our wishes to you for a year of good health and happiness! The Textile Studio will close at 2 pm on December 24th and December 31st, and will be closed on Christmas Day and New Year's Day. As we all tend to be a bit busy at this time of the year, this will be a short newsletter. Please check out our upcoming workshops and events on our website. We're adding Projects of the Month options for 2019 (see info below), moving the Stitchin Sister's sit and sew to a different Saturday, and after we become familiar with our new Amara HQ longarm we will be offering it for rental and will provide longarming services. Oh, 2019 will be an exciting year!
Projects of the Month for 2019
If you're looking for a New Year's Resolution, how about taking on a monthly sewing/quilting project? We are offering several monthly projects and here's a quick overview with additional information online. The Barn Block Mini's and the Pixel Piecing Project are monthly projects that you can pick up the kit and pattern at the Studio and take home to complete, or stay in the Studio and sew with others.
- Barn Block Minis- Using the patterns published by "This & That" this project creates a 13" barn block type mini quilt that can be used as a wall hanging or displayed on a stand. Another option is to join all 12 blocks into a quilt at the end of the year. The patterns can be purchased separately or with a kit. Each pattern contains the directions for two blocks. The kits will have both the pattern and the fabric to make the block.
- Pixel Piecing Project of the Month- Using EasyPiecing Grids by "Tensisters Handicraft" this is a great stash buster idea. Fabric squares are heat bonded to a fusible grid, then sewn and completed quickly. The monthly project will be available as a kit and will include the EasyPiecing Grid and approximately half of the pre-cut squares needed for the monthly project. You will just need to add more fabric from your stash to complete the project.
- Wee Ones- Kits from "Plays With Wool Designs" make up into small 3 1/4" x 9" monthly themed appliqued designs. The kit includes the pattern and wool fabric, you just need to add the embroidery thread. The Wee Ones are a perfect small project to fit into a travel project bag. For those that might want assistance with wool applique, Judy Pullen will provide assistance during the Stitchin' Sisters sit and sew days. The kits are available to purchase online (search for Wee Ones) or in the Studio.
The Barn Block Minis and the Pixel Piecing Project kits will be available to pick up at the Textile Studio on either the second Monday or the third Saturday of each month. Pre-registration/payment is required for both of these projects. You can stay at the Studio and start working on them with others, or take it home and finish. Beginning in January, when you pre-pay for the following month you'll get 20% off the following month's kit.
And let's not forget about the Memphis Blues Block of the Month! A few spots are still available and the monthly kits will start up in January. The monthly fee of $27.99 (plus tax) includes the pattern & batik fabric each month, and binding to make a quilt that will measure 73" x 85". The monthly kits can be picked up at the Studio or mailed (we will charge the actual shipping fee). If you are interested, come in and register, or call and we can sign you up over the phone.
December & January Important Dates:
- Monday, December 24: Textile Studio closes at 2 pm
- Tuesday, December 25: Closed to celebrate Christmas
- Monday, December 31: Textile Studio closes at 2 pm
- Tuesday, January 1: Closed to celebrate New Year's Day
- Monday, January 14: Project of the Month begins- Barn Block Mini and Pixel Piecing Project
- Monday, January 21: Texas Star Workshop
- Saturday, January 26: Stitchin' Sisters
Stay up to date with workshops and events by visiting us on Facebook or checking the website!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Ruth, Kathy, Pam, Charity, Bambi and Dawn
Uptown Blanco Textile Studio, On the Corner of 4th and Main
317 4th Street, PO Box 1079
Blanco, Texas 78606
830-833-1579 ext. 3