August Uptown Blanco Textile Studio News
Did you know that in the original Roman calendar the month of August was called Sextilis? This was because it was the sixth month of the year, but then January and February were added to the calendar and it became the eighth month of the year. In 45 BC Julius Caesar decided to shake things up and he created the Julian calendar and he added two days to the month giving it 31 days. The month was later renamed Augustus in honor of the first emperor of Rome, Caesar Augustus. Back then, those emperors could do just about anything they wanted to do, including change up the calendar! I can't even imagine the mess we'd have if we tried to change the calendar in today's world! So, there is a bit of history about the month of August.
Attention all Featherweight lovers! Have you seen the new Sew Steady extension table for the Featherweight 221? Made exclusively for the Featherweight, it is a black acrylic table measuring 17" x 22" to provide a larger working surface area. It also has a gold printed 16" ruler and rounded edges (click on the link to see a picture). The cost is $139 (before tax) and we are taking pre-orders for the table. This would make the perfect Christmas present for a Featherweight owner! Information and a picture can be found on our website, and pre-orders must be completed over the phone or in person at the Textile Studio. Order by October 31st to ensure a Christmas delivery.
The Judy Pullen Trunk Show is scheduled for August 17th and 18th, and we're hoping that you plan a trip in to the Textile Studio to see Judy's creations. As a hand applique designer, author and instructor she is eager to share her love of hand applique with others. The Trunk Show is scheduled for 12 pm - 5 pm on the Friday, August 17th and 10 am- 4 pm on Saturday, August 18th. Judy has created a special project just for the Textile Studio called "Hearts A-Bloom and Honey Bees Table Runner". This will be the featured pattern for the "Hand Applique Tips, Tricks, Tools and Techniques" workshop scheduled for August 25th. The cost of the workshop is $45 and includes a fabric kit.September is the month for the One Million Pillowcase Challenge again! Join us in the Studio on September 4, 7, 11 or 14 to make pillowcases. The completed pillowcases will be donated and if you would like to nominate a non-profit organization to receive the pillowcases, let us know. We would like to support a local or hill country organization if possible. Bring your sewing machine and thread. We will have pillowcase kits available for purchase, or bring your own fabric. If you can't come in to the Studio to sew, make the pillowcases at home and deliver them to the Studio by September 15th.
The National Sew A Jelly Roll Day is scheduled for Saturday, September 15th. It is a day to celebrate and sew 2-1/2" strips! We will have Jelly Roll specials on the day, so stay tuned for more details.
August, September and October Workshops and Events:
Additional information about these opportunities can be found on our website, registration can be completed online, over the phone, or in person when you come in to the Studio.- August 14: On the Go Tote- when going to a retreat or workshop, this tote provides a safe place for all of your rulers and mats
- August 22: Pineapple Workshop (rescheduled from July) Learn how to make the traditional pineapple block for a quilt top
- August 30: Crazy Quilting with Shape Cutting Dies You may have heard of Accuquilt, but did you know that Sizzix also has dies to cut fabric? For this workshop the Crazy Quilt shape die and 10" fabric squares are used to cut your fabric, then you sew the pieces together to make crazy quilt squares.
- August 31: Fat Quarter Friday- Buy one FQ (fat quarter) and get one 1/2 off, buy two FQs and get one free!
- September 4: One Million Pillowcase Challenge Sewing
- September 6: Hand Embroidery Workshop- for the beginner or for those that want to get a refresher on hand embroidery, with the late afternoon workshop open to pre-teens/teens as an after school activity
- September 7: One Million Pillowcase Challenge Sewing
- September 10: Mug Rug Monday - make a sunflower themed mug rug
- September 11: One Million Pillowcase Challenge Sewing
- September 14: One Million Pillowcase Challenge Sewing
- September 15: National Sew A Jelly Roll Day
- September 21: Crazy Quilting with Shape Cutting Dies
- September 25 & October 2: Jelly Roll Rug Workshop
- October 11, 12 & 13: Fall Frolic Shop Hop
- October 23: Texas Star Workshop
Workshops and events are being added to the calendar for the rest of the year, stay up-to-date with these by following us on Facebook or checking the website!
Stay cool and keep on sewing!
Ruth, Kathy, Pam, Charity, Monica, Bambi and Dawn