July Uptown Blanco Textile Studio News
It's the Dog Days of Summer!July is here, and the "dog days of summer" are upon us. Have you ever wondered why we call summer the "dog days"? According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, Dog Days begin July 3 and end August 11th. These dates coincide with the rising of the Dog Star, Sirius, and are usually the hottest and most humid days of the summer. The rising of Sirius does not affect the weather, but for ancient Egyptians, Sirius appeared just before the season of the Nile's flooding, so they used the star as a "watchdog" for that event. For those of us in central Texas and the Hill Country we do not want our rivers to flood on an annual basis, so our "watchdog" has usually been the family dogs and when they start panting extra hard know that the dog days are here!At the Textile Studio we are starting to plan for the Fall Frolic Shop Hop which is scheduled for the second weekend in October, and for the holiday season. We have a wonderful new fall panel available, and are anticipating both a nativity scene panel and a Santa Clause panel with companion prints to arrive this month. But if you're not ready to think about the holidays yet, it's ok, check out our new fabric, notions and patterns as they arrive. You can always see what is new by going to the "New Items" tab on our website.
For teens (and adults) that are looking for summer sewing and clothing activities, the Sewing and Clothing Construction workshops will be held twice a month on Monday afternoons. You can bring a project that you have already started, or begin a new project and get assistance. Dates and links for more information is below.If you've been wanting to learn how to hand applique and/or hand embroidery, or maybe just brush up your needle skills, we have two opportunities scheduled:
- Hand Applique- Judy Pullen will be provide a trunk show of her hand applique work on August 17th and 18th at the Studio. On August 25th, she will be the instructor for the "Applique Tips, Tricks, Tools and Techniques" workshop. Judy been doing hand applique for quite a few years, has taught workshops across the U.S. (including at the Houston Quilt Festival) and has had patterns published. She is enthusiast about her craft and loves to share her knowledge. She is working on a special project for the workshop and more details will be posted on the website soon.
July and August Workshops and Events:Additional information about each opportunity can be found on the website. Registration can be completed online, over the phone, or when you come in to the Studio.- July 9: July Mug Rug of the Month- make a flip-flop themed mug rug for your favorite summer time drink
- Hand Embroidery- While some of us learned how to embroider on to pillowcases and dishtowels, embroidery has grown in popularity recently and is now seen on decorative pillows, wall hangings and used as accent in quilts. The patterns are so much cuter than they used to be! Carol Fawcett is a hand embroidery enthusiast and will provide a workshop in both September and October for those that want to learn to embroider, or for those that want to brush up on their skills. The dates are September 6th and October 4th. Carol will provide two sessions on both days, and the sessions will be open to teens and pre-teens who want to learn.
- July 16: Sewing and Clothing Construction - Basic sewing and clothing instruction provided
- July 20: Texas Star workshop- using 2.5" strips this Texas Star large block comes together quickly
- July 21 & 28: Color Theory and Crazy Circles Quilt workshop- a two part workshop to learn more about colors and how to use colors to make a quilt "pop" and then use your color skills to make a crazy circles quilt
- July 26, August 2, 9 and 16: Intro to Quilting- a four session workshop to learn the basics of quilting, from how to use a rotary cutter to how to get an accurate 1/4" seam, with the end result being a small quilt suitable for a baby quilt or accent quilt
- July 24 & 31: Jelly Roll Rug workshop- using forty 2.5" strips you can make a soft and washable rug
- July 30: Sewing and Clothing Construction- Basic sewing and clothing instruction provided
- July 25: National Threading the Needle Day (10% discount on needles and thread in stock)
- August 6: Sewing and Clothing Construction- Basic sewing and clothing instruction provided
- August 11: Spiderweb Workshop- the ever popular and fun workshop to make a spiderweb table topper or wallhanging
- August 14: On the Go Tote- when going to a retreat or workshop, this tote provides a safe place for all of your rulers and mats
- August 17 & 18: Judy Pullen Applique Trunk Show
- August 20: Sewing and Clothing Construction- Basic sewing and clothing instruction provided
- August 22: Pineapple Workshop (rescheduled from July) Learn how to make the traditional pineapple block for a quilt top
- August 31: Fat Quarter Friday- Buy one FQ (fat quarter) and get one 1/2 off, buy two FQs and get one free!
Workshops and events are being added to the calendar for the rest of the year, stay up-to-date with these by following us on Facebook or checking the website!
Stay cool, stay hydrated and keep on sewing!
Ruth, Kathy, Pam, Charity, Monica, Bambi and Angela
Uptown Blanco Textile Studio
On the corner of 4th and Main
317 Main Street, PO Box 1079, Blanco, Texas 78606
830-833-1579 ext. 3